Property Tax Information

Property taxes are due and payable without penalty on the first Monday of October thru February 28.  You may make partial payments, although the full amount must be paid by February 28th to be considered paid on time.

If paying in full, you may pay at all Farmers Bank locations or at Commerce Union Bank.  You must take your tax notice with you.

You may pay or search online at  You may pay over the phone at 1-877-768-5048 but you must have your receipt number. A fee is charged by the vendor.

Starting on March 1st, 1.5% penalty and interest will be added on the first day of each month. Taxes remain in our office until they are a full year delinquent. On April 1 of the next year, they are turned over to Chancery Court for collection.

Notices are mailed out in late Sept. thru early Oct. depending on when the County sets the tax rate.

Tax notices are mailed to the person who owned the property as of Jan. 1 of that year. If a sale ocurrs after Jan. 1, the Trustee generally requests a notice also for the new owner.

If you have not received a notice by late October, please call and we will mail out another one. Our number is (615) 384-4238.

It is very important that landowners keep up with how many properties they own (or buy and sell). Since deeds are recorded in many different names and in different ways, we cannot know if we have everything that belongs to you. You must first go through each notice and bring those with you. Some properties may have been sold, and others that you have purchased since the first day of January, could be in someone else's name.

Most mortgage companies pay taxes in the month of December. If you wish to check on your tax payments, it is best to wait until January to contact us for that information. You still have time to get any error(s) corrected.

The State of Tennessee offers a property tax relief program for the disabled and those over 65 with incomes of less than $28,270.00. The income must include everyone that is on the deed to the property. You must live on the property during that year.

When applying at the office the following items are needed:
1. Social Security card
2. Medicare card
3. Proof of disability (if applicable)
4. For a mobile home you must have bill of sale or title

We have a tax freeze program for seniors over the age of 65.  The same proof of income and identification are required for the tax relief that are required for the tax freeze.  2014 taxes are based on 2013 income.  The income limit is 34,250.

We do not process either application in the month of February due to high volume of tax payments. 

We accept cash, checks and money orders.

We accept credit or debit cards, but the vendor charges a 2.75% service fee.

If you plan to wait until the last week of February, be prepared for long lines. Please be patient.

If you're not going to make it into the office by February 28, we do accept postmarked payments. Make sure the Post Office stamps the envolope with the correct date.