October 10, 2017

Business Tax

Online Business License Application

Business License Application (printable)

Minimal Business License Renewal

Effective January 1, 2014, all business tax returns must be filed and paid electronically. 
Click here to file and pay your business tax return electronically.

Determining your Business Tax Classification

New Business Listing

On June 25, 2009, Governor Bredesen signed Public Chapter 530, shifting the administration and collection of business tax from local municipalities and counties to the Department of Revenue.

This change is a true partnership between state and local officials. Annual business tax returns will now be filed with the taxes paid to the Tennessee Department of Revenue, and the department will collect all delinquent taxes and handle all necessary audit functions. Businesses will continue to obtain business licenses from the county clerk and/or municipal officials, license must be obtained within 20 days after commencement of business. Applications are available in the Clerk’s office. Applicant must remit a $15.00 fee at time application is processed. Clerks and municipal officials will continue to administer transient vendor licenses.

Businesses in a county or municipality with less than $10,000 in annual sales do not have to file a business tax return.
However, businesses with annual sales between $3,000 and $10,000 must pay $15 each year to get a “minimal activity license” from the local clerk.
Businesses with annual sales of $10,000 or more must get a business license from the local clerk. A $15 license fee is required for all new businesses that can be renewed at no charge when the annual business tax
return is filed. This is not a new requirement.

In certain cases, gross income received by the following Tennessee businesses may be exempt from business tax:  manufacturers, doctors, dentists, veterinarians, attorneys, accountants, schools, religious organizations, insurance agents, loan companies, security exchanges, or public utilities.  Please visit https://www.tn.gov/business/existing-businesses.html for more information or call the Tennessee Department of Revenue at 800/342-1003.

The Robertson County Clerk’s Office now accepts Visa and MasterCard Credit card payments for most services.*Convenience fees do apply.