October 12, 2017

How to Acquire a Building Permit


To Acquire a Permit for the rural area of Robertson County, please contact the Planning & Zoning Department (615) 384-3666.
Flood Elevation Certificate or Sprinkler Plan may be required. Be sure you are able to secure a water tap for your property.
Permits are issued to the Land Owner or Contractor only. Permits are placed in the Land Owner’s name. Contractor must
be present to be listed as Contractor. Contractor must have license and be entered into the system. Permits not issued
after 4:00 p.m.


  1. Actual Septic Permit from Environmental Office, basement, Robertson County Office Building or Sewer Tap Receipt (if applicable). (615) 384-0240
  2. Driveway Permit-Robertson Co. Hwy. Dept., Hwy 41 North. (615) 384-2507. Office closed on Friday. State Hwy. Dept., 17th Avenue N, Springfield, TN (615) 382-2416
  3. You must have E-911 Address by E-911 addressing, 3rd Floor, Robertson Co. Office Bldg. (615) 384-0099
  4. Deed recorded in owner’s name.
  5. Plat (check plat for Fire Protection Sprinklers/Flood Elevation Notes).
  6. PROVIDE LEGIBLE building plans (fOr office.to kee1)cand file) for all structures in compliance with the 2012 building code with sufficient detail to show construction and
    compliance with building code. Provide printed square footage of livable and non-livable space on the plans.

Cities of Adams, Orlinda and Cedar Hill require a letter of approval from the Mayor/City Manager to issue a Permit.

Permit Fees

Mechanical Permits $ 75.00
Plumbing Permits $ 75.00
Dwelling $1.50 per Heated/Cooled Square ft. Livable Space =AFT +$ .35 Total sq. ft.
Under Roof Livable Space + Porches, Garages, Bonus Rooms, Basements, Etc. Total sq. ft.
Under-Roof. = Permit Fee
Dwelling Permit AFT+ Permit= TOTAL
Single Wide Mobile Home $350.00+AFT@ $1.50 per heated square foot of the home Permit+ AFT= TOTAL
Additions, Porches, Garages, Storage Buildings, Etc. sq ft. @ $ .35
Residential Remodeling/Renovation Permit sq ft. @ $ .25
House Moving Permit (must obtain prior approval for moving house) $ 175.00
Applicable Fees House Moving Permit + Building/Renovation Permit + AFT = TOTAL
Commercial/ Industrial Permits
AFT-Adequate Facilities Tax Commercial/Industrial                  sq ft.@$ .30
Residential                                         sq ft. @$1. 50
Permit Fees Commercial/Industrial                   Fee Schedule
Agricultural Permits Please inquire prior to construction.

Revised 2021