October 10, 2017

Tag & Title Registration


If you have just bought a vehicle, or if you’re new Tennessee resident wanting title information, please read the information below.

When titling a vehicle, applying for a license plate or transferring a plate from one vehicle to another. State law requires the applicant or owner to visit the County Clerk’s office. If you can’t personally transact this business a representative may be designated by notarized Power of Attorney. The Power of Attorney must identify the vehicle by make, model and identification number. A form may picked up at the County Clerk’s office or clicking on the link above.

If your vehicle is new bring all papers connected with the purchase. This includes manufacturer’s statement of origin, or MSO, new car invoice from dealer, odometer statement, and loan paperwork if financed. If the vehicle was purchased from an individual, please present a properly signed title with odometer reading placed in the appropriate line. If the vehicle is financed bring the loan paperwork. Vehicle purchased from individuals may require a Gift form from the seller if the sales price does not agree with the NADA vehicle value guide.

If you wish to transfer your present tag please bring your current tag or registration.

Transfers from immediate family members may be eligible for tax exemption.

In these cases where a title does not exist the owner must furnish vehicle registration receipt and notarized bill of sale. If there is a lien you must provide loan paperwork